The Saline County Library cannot and will not, in any way, control the content of any petition being circulated near any of its libraries. The presence of petitioners outside of a library building does not constitute the Library’s endorsement of the policies, beliefs or political affiliations of any person or group circulating petitions for signatures.
To minimize disruptions to staff and patrons, the Library prohibits petition circulation within the interior spaces and entry lobbies of the Library buildings. Certain areas outside of the Library buildings may be used by the public to gather signatures if the petitioners adhere to the following rules:
- · Petitioners and their furniture or equipment must not hinder or block the entrances to the Library buildings, or create potentially unsafe conditions to Library staff, patrons, or to the general public.
- · The Library will not provide supplies, furniture, equipment, or any other amenities to petitioners, nor will the Library store any items for any period of time.
- · Petitioners may not use any part of the buildings, including walls, columns, and lights to exhibit posters, notes or printed information.
- · Petitioners shall not approach Library patrons and staff in an aggressive manner or engage in action that constitutes harassment of Library patrons and staff.
- · Soliciting for funds is not allowed on Library property.
Petition circulators who fail to comply with this (or any other county or city) policy will be asked to leave the premises. Law enforcement will be contacted if any petition circulator engages in what is believed to be unlawful behavior.