To make sure the Saline County Library continues to improve for our patrons and the community, we began a new strategic planning process in June 2018.
We began gathering information about the community and its needs after we held a strategic planning committee organizational meeting with some of our administrative staff, Friends of the Library members, board members and community partners. This information-gathering aspect included looking at analytics, staff focus groups, and interviews and surveys with the community. From our research, we found key areas that we wanted to focus on for the next two years and developed goals for each. Below, you will find each of the three focus areas with goals, followed by strategies for each goal.
We will improve your customer experience.
Design welcoming physical and digital spaces to make using the library easy and tailored to your busy lifestyle.
Goal 1: Create in-demand collections and spaces
- Research and complete bookstore-style organization of one adult collection
- Add three new types of unexpected items to check out
- Select and implement a new library catalog system and review placement of catalog computers
- Evaluate space needed to move the large-print collection upstairs in Benton
- Create an outdoor learning environment in Benton
Goal 2: Make the library convenient
- Streamline holds pick-up process
- Look into ways to issue youth library cards without a parent/guardian present
- Research signage solutions
- Rearrange desk layouts and services
- Conduct an hours/usage study and research being open Sundays in Benton during the summer
- Improve ADA compliance inside and outside buildings
Goal 3: Provide cutting-edge technology
- Purchase laptops to use in the library, including “homework-only” laptops
- Provide teen-focused technology in the teen area and makerspace in Bryant
- Improve the printing process at public computers
- Reduce restrictions on public computers
Goal 4: Boost customer service
- Make staff more visible to the public while in the library or at community events
- Support growth of staff through professional development plans
- Provide ongoing customer service training for staff
We will meet you where you are.
Expand our library services to reach more people in more ways
Goal 1: Take library programming on the road
- Purchase fuel-efficient, graphic-wrapped vehicle
- Hold one program per quarter offsite in different areas of the county
- Create a mobile library card sign-up kit
- Research developing a small, offsite checkout collection to use at booths
Goal 2: Increase library access to all areas of the county
- Increase mobile hotspot collection
- Research joining a regional consortium to provide bookmobile services
- Evaluate the feasibility of library kiosks
Goal 3: Educate Saline County residents about the library
- Expand advertising outside of the library
- Provide outreach to our ESL community
- Increase database knowledge and usage
We will help the community.
Unite the county by supporting people, schools, organizations and businesses
Goal 1: Partner with local organizations
- Form partnerships to promote community classes
- Hold two drives throughout the year to benefit selected organizations
- Designate two days each year for staff to volunteer together and help another organization
Goal 2: Support our schools
- Offer students digital cards and online resource training
- Hold library card sign-ups during school registration
- Provide online resource training to teachers during staff development days
Goal 3: Gather feedback from the community
- Conduct regular patron satisfaction and program surveys
- Hold community forums/focus groups to assess building needs
This strategic plan is the result of getting to know our community and its needs in order to better serve the area.