Saline County Library has a job opening for a part-time library assistant at the Mabel Boswell Memorial Library in Bryant. This customer service position spends time checking out materials to our patrons, registering people for library cards, answering reference questions, and assisting patrons with technology.
The Branch Library Assistant is responsible for all public service operations including circulation, reference, and technology help.
High School Diploma plus two years of customer service experience are preferred. The successful applicant needs to be friendly, outgoing, motivated, and committed to providing excellent service in a public library environment.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Candidate should be computer literate and willing to learn new technologies
- Knowledge of popular reading materials, movies, and music
- Must like working with people and be able to cooperate with all staff
- Must possess the temperament and good judgment to effectively work with the general public and patrons, some of whom may be irate or unreasonable
- Accuracy in clerical skills such as typing and barcode scanning
- Position requires walking and standing for long periods. Requires light lifting and carrying of up to 40 pounds.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights (until 8:00 p.m.) and Saturdays
- Provides outstanding customer service to patrons of all ages from the Public Services desk
- Provides technology and computer assistance to adult and youth patrons
- Checks materials in and out using barcode scanner and RFID system
- Registers patrons for new library cards and enters data into system accurately and efficiently
- Assists patrons in locating materials and provides reader’s advisory assistance
- Helps patrons with a wide variety of computer tasks such as setting up emails, creating social media accounts, and filling out web forms
- Continuously learns new and changing technology
- Familiarizes self with library policies and adheres to them
- Monitors patron behavior and enforces library code of conduct
- Shelves materials as needed
- Answers telephone and assists patrons with renewals, lost items, and materials or services questions
This position starts at $11.19 per hour.
To apply, fill out our online application.