The Saline County Library has an opening for a Youth Services Assistant at the Benton branch.
The Youth Services Assistant is responsible for assisting patrons, providing reader’s advisory, and general maintenance of the Youth Services Department. This is a part-time position.
High School diploma plus two years of customer service experience are preferred. This position requires you to be outgoing, friendly, helpful, energetic, and committed to providing excellent service to children and their caregivers in a public library setting.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Candidate should be computer literate and willing to learn new technologies
- Knowledge of popular reading materials, movies, and music
- Must like working with people and be able to cooperate with other staff. Teamwork skills are essential.
- Ability to multitask and maintain efficiency with frequent distractions
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including 3 nights per week (until 8:00 p.m.) and Saturdays
- Position requires walking and standing for long periods. Requires light lifting and carrying of up to 40 pounds.
- Assists patrons in locating materials and provides reader’s advisory assistance
- Familiarizes self with library policies and adheres to them
- Monitors patron behavior and enforces library code of conduct, while maintaining a good relationship with youth visitors and their caregivers
- Maintains a neat, fun, inviting, and safe children’s space by hanging decorations, cleaning, picking up, and guinea pig care.
- Hangs and takes down flyers and signs
- Assists in youth programs and the preparation of children’s crafts and programs
- Answers telephone and assists patrons with renewals, lost items, and materials or services questions
- Provides computer and technology help to youth patrons
- Makes recommendations for updates, services, or programs related to children’s services
Starts at $11.75/hour
This position is closed.