The Saline County Library has an opening for a Branch Youth Services Librarian!
The Branch Youth Services Librarian is responsible for special programming, reader’s advisory, collection development, and entertainment for children and teens.
Master’s in Library Science from an ALA accredited university is required. This position requires you to be outgoing, energetic, creative, self-motivated, and committed to providing quality programming to children and teens.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Candidate should be computer literate and willing to learn new technologies
- General knowledge of popular reading materials, movies, and music; expert level knowledge in youth materials
- Must like working with people and be able to cooperate with other staff. Teamwork skills are essential.
- Knowledge of professional library principles, practices and trends
- Expertise in library’s resources, services, classification system, policies and procedure
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights (until 8:00 p.m.) and Saturdays
- Position requires walking and standing for long periods. Requires light lifting and carrying of up to 40 pounds.
- Provides patron assistance and monitors children and teens from youth services help desk, assists patrons in locating materials, provides reader’s advisory assistance, and enforces library code of conduct, while maintaining a good relationship with youth visitors
- Serves as selector for Branch children’s or young adult collection
- Designs displays, activities, bookmarks and other materials to create innovative and educational youth resources
- Maintains fun, inviting and safe youth spaces by creating displays, hanging decorations, and keeping areas neat
- Prepares and conducts storytimes; performs songs, stories, and puppetry for a wide age range
- Plans and executes a combination of in-person and virtual programming for children and teens including promotion, supply ordering, setup, execution and cleaning.
- Plans and conducts outreach visits to schools, daycares and other community organizations
- Collaborates with Benton YS staff to ensure consistency and to implement special programming.
- Serves as Person in Charge on a Saturday rotation and provides assistance at circulation desk as needed.
$15.29-22.93 hourly, depending on experience.
To apply for this position, click here.