National library week to be celebrated with costumes, prizes, and fun activities
Benton, Ark –March 28, 2018- With our everyday way of life changing, libraries have learned to adapt to new wants and needs. Books are no longer the same. They come in all shapes and sizes and can even be downloaded and instantly read to you at the push of a button. But libraries are more than that, and the Saline County Library is celebrating the evolution by showcasing non-traditional items available for check-out, offering prizes and giveaways to patrons and having some fun by dressing up every day for an entire week in April.
The public is invited to participate in the festivities during National Library Week beginning April 9th and ending April 14th at both Benton and Bryant branches. All week long, patrons can turn in non-perishable food for fine forgiveness. One item is equal to $1.00 amnesty. This does not include replacement costs but will cover late fees.
Each day will have a theme based on a unique item or service the library has to offer. The dress-up and activities correspond with that theme. The themes are:
- Monday: Play Day Monday- Dress up in your favorite game attire! This can be video/board game or sports team related. We will have a display with our favorite video and board games available for check-out along with some giant games to play while at the library.
- Tuesday: Tasty Tuesday- Wear something with your favorite food on it. That can be simple like a pasta necklace or something more involved like clothing with vegetable-printed fabric! We will have popcorn all day for patrons and display some of our best cookbooks, cake pans and even wellness kits that have blenders, pizza kits and other kitchen accessories.
- Wednesday: Wild Wednesday- Show your wacky side and sport some crazy socks to show we are wild about online resources! There will be a Facebook contest that five lucky people can win a gift card donated by Jamey South State Farm Insurance. We will have computers with our online databases set-up so patrons can explore them and also feature our newest resource, Lynda.com with video tutorials playing.
- Thursday: Keepin’ It Tight Thursday- Get ready to work out and wear your favorite exercise gear! There will be giveaways at Yoga in Bryant that night and infused water will be available for the public all day at both locations. Displays will showcase workout DVDs, fitness books and some of our wellness kits like Zumba and yoga. Be among the first to walk in the doors to receive a free exercise band. Available while supplies last!
- Friday: Fish Friday- This is your time to wear your fishing clothes or dress up as a fish! Fishing poles and other fish related items will be on display for you to grab and then on your way to check-out, grab some fish treats at the circulation desk! Keep an eye on our social media for a special “treat” from our staff.