The Youth Services Librarian, under supervision of the Youth Services Manager, is responsible for all aspects of special and recurring children’s programs, outreach, assisting patrons, providing reader’s advisory, and collection development. This is a full-time, 40 hours per week position.
Master’s in Library Science from an ALA accredited university. This position requires you to be outgoing, energetic, creative, self-motivated, and committed to providing quality children’s programming to children and their caregivers in a public library setting.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Candidate should be computer literate and willing to learn new technologies
- General knowledge of popular reading materials, movies, and music; expert level knowledge in children’s materials
- Must like working with people and be able to cooperate with other staff. Teamwork skills are essential.
- Position requires walking and standing for long periods. Requires light lifting and carrying of up to 40 pounds.
- Knowledge of professional library principles, practices and trends
- Able to work a flexible schedule, including nights (until 8:00 p.m.) and Saturdays
- Expertise in library’s resources, services, classification system, policies and procedures
- Familiarizes self with library policies and adheres to them
- Monitors patron behavior and enforces library code of conduct, while maintaining a good relationship with youth visitors and their caregivers
- Participates in Children’s Collection Development
- Designs displays, activities, bookmarks and other materials to create innovative and educational children’s resources
- Maintains a neat, fun, inviting and safe children’s space by creating displays, hanging decorations, cleaning and picking up in shared storage spaces
- Prepares and conducts storytimes; performs songs, stories, and puppetry for a wide age range
- Plans and executes special and recurring programs for children including promotion, supply ordering, setup, execution and cleaning
- Plans and executes children’s field trips to the library
- Plans and conducts outreach visits to schools, daycares and other community organizations
- Monitors downstairs help desk and provides reader’s advisory
- Assists with adult and teen programming and visiting groups as needed
Hiring range is $29,835-$37,294.
To apply, fill out our online application.