Bob Herzfeld Memorial Library
Job Type: Full-Time, 40 hours per week
Pay Grade: 2
Pay Range: $11.19 - $16.79 hourly
Reports to: Public Services Manager
Department: Public Services
Location: Bob Herzfeld Memorial Library
The Library Assistant: Floater is responsible for providing outstanding customer service to library patrons by ensuring coverage of all public desks.
High School Diploma plus 2 years of customer service experience. The successful applicant needs to be friendly, outgoing, motivated, and committed to providing excellent service in a public library environment.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Candidate should be computer literate and willing to learn new technologies
- Knowledge of popular reading materials, movies, and music
- Must like working with people and be able to cooperate with all staff
- Must possess the temperament and good judgment to effectively work with the general public and patrons, some of whom may be irate or unreasonable
- Accuracy in clerical skills such as typing and barcode scanning
- Position requires walking and standing for long periods. Requires light lifting and carrying of up to 40 pounds.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights (until 8:00 p.m.) and Saturdays
- Provides outstanding customer service to patrons of all ages from the Public Services, Ask Here, and Youth Services desks
- Provides technology and computer assistance to adult and youth patrons
- Checks materials in and out using barcode scanner and RFID system
- Registers patrons for new cards and enters data into system accurately and efficiently
- Assists patrons in locating materials and provides reader’s advisory assistance
- Continuously learns new and changing technology
- Familiarizes self with library policies and adheres to them
- Monitors patron behavior and enforces library code of conduct
- Answers telephone and assists patrons with renewals, lost items, and materials or services questions
To apply, fill out our online application.