About Saline County Library
The Saline County Library serves Saline County in Arkansas which runs 99 miles from point to point. There are two library facilities: Bob Herzfeld Memorial Library, the headquarters for the system, in Benton and the Mabel Boswell Memorial Library in Bryant.
In addition to the library facilities, a 24-hour electronic information center is available through this website with online databases and library services available using your library card number. Staff would be happy to give a guided tour on what is available via the internet.
The Bob Herzfeld Memorial Library was opened in 2003 with 32,000 square feet. The Mabel Boswell Memorial Library was completed in the year 2002; the Ruth Zoch Children’s Wing was added on in the year 2007. The Mabel Boswell Memorial Library is 10,000 sq. ft. Both libraries provide wireless access computing as well as desktop computers.
The mission of the Saline County Library is to create unique, enriching experiences that put you at the center of our story.
You can view our 2019-2021 Strategic Plan here.
History of the Library
The Saline County Library had its beginnings in March of 1931. The Benton Junior Fortnightly Club, a women’s civic club, took on the project of establishing a library for the city of Benton, Arkansas and the citizens of Saline County. The library was established on the second floor of the Walton building on Market Street in downtown Benton.
On April 3, 1936 the Benton library moved to its second location in a building next to city hall on West South Street.
In 1946, the library moved into the former office building of Dr. Dewell Gann on Market Street. This location was soon too small for the library and a new site was needed.
On Jan. 23, 1967, the Saline County Library moved for the fourth time into the old Palace Theater at 224 West South Street. For the next thirty years the library continued to grow.
In February 1969, a Bryant branch of the Saline County Library was opened on Mills Park Road.
On August 24, 1998, Saline County voters approved a .7 percent millage increase and a quarter-cent countywide sales tax which was extended in August of 2000. On Feb. 21, 2001 construction began on the new Bryant Library, which was dedicated on February 10, 2002. On Oct. 30, 2001 construction began for the new Benton Library, which was dedicated on August 10, 2003. The Saline County Library has come a long way from two small rooms in a downtown Benton building in 1931.
The Saline County Library Board is appointed by the County Judge. Each member serves a 5 year term. Current members are:
- Susan Benzick
- Linda Edwards
- Caroline Miller Robinson
- Joan O'Neal
- Dustin Sanders
- Pat Bisbee, Quorum Court Liaison
2018 Board Meeting Dates
- January 26, 2018 at 9:00 a.m. Board Packet - 1.26.18.pdf
- February 8, 2018 at 3:30 p.m. Board Packet 2.8.18.pdf
- March 1, 2018 at 3:00 p.m. (Boswell Library in Bryant) 3.1.18 Board Packet.pdf
- March 19, 2018 at 3:30 p.m. Board Packet 3.19.18.pdf
- May 21, 2018 at 3:30 p.m. Board Packet 5.21.18.pdf
- July 16, 2018 at 3:30 p.m. Board Packet 7.16.18.pdf
- September 17, 2018 at 3:30 p.m. (Boswell Library in Bryant) Board Packet 9.17.18.pdf
- November 7, 2018 at 3:30 p.m. Board Meeting Packet 11.7.18.pdf
- November 19, 2018 at 3:30 p.m. Board Meeting Packet 11.19.18.pdf
2019 Board Meeting Dates
- January 28, 2019 at 3:30 p.m. Board Packet 1.28.19.pdf
- March 18, 2019 at 3:30 p.m. Board Packet - 3.18.19.pdf
- May 20, 2019 at 3:30 p.m. Board Packet 5.20.19.pdf
- July 15, 2019 at 3:30 p.m.
- September 16, 2019 at 3:30 p.m.
- November 18, 2019 at 3:30 p.m.
- Patty Hector, Library Director
- Leigh Espey, Branch Manager
- Janine Miller, Library Manager
- Rick Johnson, Public Services Manager
- Sarah Beth Lesko, Youth Services Manager
- Kari Beesley, Marketing Manager
- Erin Loy, Human Resources Manager
- Stacy Childress, Collections Manager
- Brad Crumby, Financial Coordinator
- Alissa Turner, User Experience Manager
- Will Picking, Technology Manager